Dental Assistant H97197
Dental Assistant H97197
Org Level 1
Texas Tech Univ Health Sciences Ctr
Org Level 7
691016 - Amarillo Neal Unit
This position is responsible for performing skilled tasks assisting the professional dental staff. Responsible for providing skilled assistance in routine and complex cases to the professional dental staff in the examination and prophylactic, therapeutic and surgical treatment of patients. Work is performed under supervision of professional dental staff. Work is performed in usual clinic conditions; requires contact with patients.
- Complies with TDCJ and TTUHSC Policy and Procedures
- Gathers charts, equipment, supplies in a timely manner for use during dental appointments.
- Practices infection control procedures according to policy guidelines in Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Administers Plaque Index tests and provides oral hygiene instructions to patients and dispenses floss.
- Assist dentist or hygienist at chair side.
- Exposes and develops dental radiographs when ordered by licensed dentist.
- Introduces information into dental record of care.
- Assists dental clerk in records management, appointment procedures, creating reports, answering telephones and communicating with corrections staff and with offenders.
- Schedules dentist's patients daily.
- Maintains credentials required by policy or Dental Practice Act.
- Counts instruments and sharps and maintains logs of use.
- Maintains adequate inventory of supplies to avoid disruption of dental services.
- Maintains good working knowledge of Policy and Procedure Manual as related to provision of dental care to offenders.
- Processes lab cases in conjunction with dentist and dental lab, pouring models, maintaining lab log and using lab infection control techniques described Policy and Procedure manual.
- Writes cases on out-of-place offenders.
- Teaches offenders self-care procedures, proper access to care procedures, specific information about offender's own plan of care and post-op instructions.
- Takes vital signs and records maintenance in appropriate log.
- Maintains equipment and records maintenance in appropriate log.
- Facilitates offender's informed consent by giving offender list of risks of oral surgery procedures prior to procedures and inquiring about any questions offender's may have, referring any questions to Dentist.
Minimum Hire Rate
Accredited through State Board; Dental assisting registration; high reasoning ability and language skills; good communication and interpersonal skills.
Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
Basic computer skills.
HSC - Correctional Managed Health Care
Amarillo Neal Unit
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Other duties as assigned.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran.
+Education:+ A minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent.